original piano transcription of the first movement (Allegro con brio) of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s Symphony No.25 in G minor KV.183
composition date: 1773 (5 October)
transcription date: 2009 (27 March – 4 April)
partial piano transcription (piano solo arrangement) including only the first movement (the “Allegro con brio”).
I transcribed the other movements later on that year as project “tbpt38” (2nd, 3rd and 4th movements).
YouTube channel (embedded links below)
This is the first transcription I’ve done by request from a fan (YouTube user “tobosarevic”). Back then he sent me a message saying he was impressed by my transcription of the Menuetto from Symphony No.40 KV 550 [project tbpt2] and asked me to try the Allegro from this other Symphony. At the time I didn’t have many other projects ongoing so I thought, what the heck, let’s give it a try!
I owned a set of CDs of Mozart’s complete Symphonies (Philips/Decca) so I first brushed up on this particular one. I admit I didn’t know it at all prior to this. I may have listened to it once when I bought that CD set, but that was it. Now I discovered with some research that it was very very popular, almost like the No.40 or No.41, and the reason, I guessed, lied in the “Sturm und Drang” qualities of the first movement.
OK so I listened a few times to it, understood it, got a couple of key ideas, and rolled up my sleeves. I worked on it pretty freely and unrestrained, unafraid of putting in a compositional dash here and there (at the time I was also on a compositional roll, completing many original works… 2009 was a very proficient year for me). I was happy with the result, and posted it without further ado.
Success! My fan was really happy and I started getting a lot of hits. This video is still one of my most popular ones.
Looking back, this transcription was what gave me a gush of confidence and pushed me to dedicate more and more energies to this activity, to the point of bringing composition to the background and making “transcription” my first priority.
Note that compared to the transcribing Bach’s Cello Suites (the two previous projects), this was (almost) a piece of cake. What made the difference, in terms of emotional drive I gained from it, was the positive response and number of hits I got from my visitors.